5/16/08

My advice to incoming freshmen!


As the school year comes to a close, I feel both relieved and somewhat sad at the same time. Relieved that when I return next year, I will be a sophomore, and sad because I know things are only going to be more challenging. No more special treatment from teachers who are lenient because they are aware of the transition into high school. For me, being a freshmen was a little difficult at first, but once I got the hang of it, it was not so bad. These are just some things that I learned as a freshmen that I hoped someone had shared with me.

First, high school is nothing like middle school. Remember the days when you were in the 8th grade and thought that you ruled the school because you had seniority... as a freshmen you are considered the "babies" of the school! You might feel out of place, seeing so many students on campus. The cliques are bigger and so much more different than the ones you see in middle school. This is the time when a freshmen must open his eyes and begin the search of his identity.

Secondly, school work is taken more seriously in high school. When I say school work I mean everything: class works, home works, tests, quizzes, projects, etc. You will find the term "deadline" buzzing in you ear every time an assignment is given. Teachers, or rather most teachers are very strict about grading. There is no room for excuses, unless it comes from a doctor! As freshmen, you might be lucky to have a teacher who is flexible and lenient, but do not put all your marbles into thinking that you can fly by all your classes with a pretty smile. So study hard and do not procrastinate. If you miss a day or two of classes, call or e-mail your instructors and find out whether you can make-up the work you missed. Many teachers will appreciate a student who cares for his education.

Lastly, "no bad deed goes unpunished". In high school, you must take responsibility for your actions. Like all schools, there are rules that are meant to be abided by. As young adults, you are made aware of both the rules and the consequences. Teachers and the school administration do this with everything nowadays. Your teacher gives you a project and then gives you a rubric of how you will be graded. Teachers literally tell you what you have to do to get or rather to earn the grade you want. Freshmen beware! High schools are very strict with the rules. Breaking the rules can get you detention, suspension, and even expulsion! Follow the rules.

Like I mentioned above, these are just a few of the things that I wished someone had told me about or shared with me. Now that my Freshmen days are numbered, I feel good being able to provide these advices or "heads-up" for the incoming freshmen for school year 2008-2009. Do not feel so bad when you hear upper class men whispering "pampers" or "mucous". Everyone goes through the phase and eventually moves on. Do all your work and turn them in on or before the deadline, and make sure to catch up on the work you miss as soon as possible...it will be harder if you procrastinate, do not let things pile up! Follow the rules and you will be just fine. Sometimes a freshmen might be a little curious, just remember what they said happened to the cat! Good luck to all the incoming freshmen.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've been waiting for this comment so I think I would have to tell the truth and I think is both good and not really good at the same time but still its worth reading..

Angelo Villagomez said...

Hi there! I'm Angelo and I like making fun of Mr. Turbitt.

Brad Ruszala said...

Mr. Turbitt is the best teacher at Saipan Southern High School. Most ladies think he's super handsome and very stylish. Man, he's so cool!

Bruce A. Bateman said...

Hi, I'm Bruce.

Welcome to Blogging, Lira, or Lila (you choose what you want people to call you - not the other way around).

You write well and you get your point across succinctly.

May your Sophomore year be even better that your Freshman year was.

SML =) fly high =) said...

Lira, I like your essay and what you did....
nice job!!!!