5/23/08

Crazy power outages and poor economy


Nowadays whenever you pick up a newspaper from the local convenient store, you probably will not freak out when the headline says, “CUC…” It is definitely no surprise to anyone anymore that the Commonwealth Utilities Corporation (CUC) will continue to do what the do best which is implementing higher power rates and load shedding. Our government is and will not get better any time soon. I am sick and tired of listening to people pointing fingers, blaming so-and-so, and thinking that the honest tax payers are happy. The instability of power and the CNMI’s current economy or lack thereof, affects not only me, but the entire community as well. Students are receiving a poor education, many people are taking some health risks, and I have to do without the luxuries I used to indulge in.

First, whenever I am right in the middle of one of my lessons at school or whenever I am online trying to finish something I have been working on that is due soon, the power just happens to go off! Students are sent home because “NO POWER” also means, “NO WATER”, which then means, “NO RESTROOM PASS”. Schools shut down whenever the power goes out. The education of our so-called, “future leaders” are being compromised. The worst thing about this is that students must make-up for every hour of class that was missed, which therefore means that breaks are cut short. This is totally not funny, and really not cool. Whatever happened to “better times”?

Secondly, when the power is out, all the appliances at our house are out! No refrigerator, no air conditioning, no television, and no internet. Every time CUC thinks they can shut off the power, many people suffer. We end up throwing out all the meat in our refrigerators, our appliances break, and some of our jobs suffer too. Imagine those of us who work at home, who have deadlines to meet, like an online university student. Oh well, CUC thinks your college graduation is not so important on their list of priorities. Thanks to the bosses at CUC, my family and I sometimes have to eat “not so fresh” food that we just bought at a little grocery store that does not have a generator. The load shedding schedule appears in the newspapers and sometimes it is even read out on the radio, perfect for thieves to plan which house in what village to rob, or vandalize. Yeah, they are smart, I tell you.

Lastly, I am affect by the whole CUC issue because my family and I have to pay for our increasing power bill every month. I used to get an allowance, but now that the price of gas keeps climbing and CUC will not give us a break, there went my allowance. I try to think that our government is just like a sick puppy who needs extra attention and medicine and rest, but man, it has been this way for such a long time, I feel like I should have given the puppy to the vet and said, “sorry, I can’t afford to keep it alive”, and taken advantage of the new shot they give to end a dog’s life. I have a life too! CUC does not see that is killing many of us very, very slowly. No more trips to the zoo, camps at the beach, hanging out at Mc Donald’s, and watching a movie. Thank you CUC, for making my life so difficult and penniless!

So you see, my opinion on the CUC issue is not exaggerated, it is so true. Ask anyone, and if they tell you that they do not agree with at least one of my points, then that person is either living his life with his eyes closed or he is in denial. Students, regular ordinary people in our community, and me suffer each time the power goes out. At schools, classes are cancelled. At home, our frozen foods are defrosted, and I do not get to have the fun I want because my parents are broke because they have to pay $0.367 per kilowatt hour every month!

2 comments:

DK said...

oh, it's a really nice, iong essay!
I like your second paragraph... you're right.. no power means no restroom pass! Also I love your criticize...good job!

El said...

wOw, i enjoyed reading this post. you have a good argument, nice job lira! keep it up, your good at it!