10/31/08

Being prone to accidents


I thought I was lucky, but every time I went anywhere, I found different ways to injure myself. Sometimes when I tried my best to spare myself from becoming hurt, accidents just seemed to become worse. I am so prone to accidents that I almost always end up bruised, scratched, bumped, bit, or soaked in blood; I know it sounds funny, but it is actually rather painful.
One time I went to Managaha to snorkel with my family, and I was happy to be out on the white sandy beach. The water was extra sparkly that day and the sun was as hot as usual; it was simply a beautiful day. Later, it became the day I almost died. My cousin Joshua and I were swimming on the deep side of the island, and all of a sudden my leg cramped underwater. It was extremely painful therefore I panicked and almost drowned. If Josh was not swimming close by, I would literally not be here today. I could not believe that there was not a single lifeguard around when I needed one the most. After such a dreadful incident, I decided to come out of the water and catch my breath. As I sat under an umbrella, I thought about my near-death experience and promised be more careful next time. After a while, I found the courage to give snorkeling in the lagoon another chance. I called Joshua and we went out into the blue ocean again.

About six months later, my mother insisted that we all go to the Saipan World Resort to relax and spend some quality time together as a family at the Wave Jungle. I felt like I had no choice. I ended up going with the plan even though I am really prone to accidents. That horrendous day, I fell down because my leg cramped again. I had cuts on my knees, and to make matters worse, the crazy lifeguard had the nerve to blame me for almost drowning on his shift at the Black Hole. Everything that happened that day felt so unreal. I kept thinking of the audacity of that man. How dare he try to blame the incident on me; to him, it was entirely my fault, which I thought ridiculous I felt really scared after what happened; hence, I never attempted to go to the Black Hole again.

Four months after the Black Hole incident, I went to the Wave Jungle again. It is still puzzling to me how I agreed to go to the Wave Jungle; I had a feeling that something bad was going to happen; I kept reminding myself of how prone I was to accidents. This time I went to the Wave Jungle with my local Korean friends. I was extremely happy to meet up with my friends because it is always a lot more fun to play around with others than by yourself. We were all swimming in the deepest part of the pool, which measured around two meters. I was floating in a yellow tube which hurt my arms. One of my friends flipped my tube, and I fell into the water. Everything happened so fast, the next thing I knew a wave slammed against me, therefore, I could not catch my breath. I was trying to swim, but the waves were very strong; I drank a lot of chlorinated water. I was afraid of drowning all over again. I started having flashbacks of my previous near-drowning experience. I tried to gain control of myself and began shouting for help at the top at my lungs to try catching the lifeguard’s attention, another useless feat because no one came to my rescue.

Accidents never fail to find me. I feel very awkward whenever I am in a public place because I just do not know what to expect half the time. If it is not one thing, it is another. Sometimes I wonder if other people go through the same things I go through. As has been mentioned, I have experienced at least two near death incidents in less than a year. I think the biggest lesson I learned out of these is: stay out of the water. Ironically, I am a certified rescue diver now, and I love being under the water.

No comments: