9/25/08

NHS


I believe that I am a qualified candidate for the Saipan Southern High School (SSHS) National Honor Society (NHS) because I am confident that I meet all the necessary criteria for membership. I have always tried my best to achieve academic success by setting both short and long term goals for myself. As a former member of the Hopwood Jr. High School National Junior Honor Society, I have familiarized myself with the leadership code of conduct, and have trained myself to uphold a standard of Scholarship, Leadership, Service, and Character.

I have conducted myself with the utmost discipline in attaining and maintaining scholarship in all subject areas. I have thus far managed a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.875 as of September 18, 2008 which was certified by Ms. Manibusan, a SSHS Counselor. I have committed myself to continue striving for excellence, and I am prepared to persevere through any and all challenges that I might encounter along the way. Fortunately, I have a supportive family and a special network of friends that encourage me to fulfill my educational goals and aspirations.

A special teacher once taught me that to become a good leader, one must first learn to be a good follower. I believe this to be true in whole because one cannot lead if one cannot follow directions, instructions, orders, or protocols. As a former member of SSHS’s Junior Reserves Officers Training Corp (JROTC), I held the rank of Cadet Sergeant in which I was able to acquire training in leadership skills, physical and health awareness, and school spirit. I intend to use all my knowledge to the best of my ability if granted membership to NHS.

Many who know me well would describe me as an extrovert. I have been known to be loquacious, verbose, easygoing, down-to-earth, and pretty much amiable. I take pride in assisting others in need. I have volunteered a lot of my time and energy in the past in being of service to others. I enjoy being involved in all sorts of school, community, and even church activities! I took part in at least two March Against Cancer Relays, a few Red Cross Walk-a-thons, a JROTC luncheon, a JROTC beach and site clean-up, a SSHS campus clean-up, I represented SSHS in the 2008 4th of July parade and the 2008 Memorial Day service, and I assisted the less fortunate people of the CNMI by donating canned foods and used clothing to the CNMI Karidat Center and the American Red Cross Saipan Chapter.

Ever since I first came to Saipan, I pushed myself to be the best I can be, and I wanted to make my parents proud of me, but most importantly, I wanted to prove to myself that I could overcome the challenges of studying abroad. My family has made many sacrifices to ensure that I receive the best education possible. The way I see it, being a member of NHS is like being a member of the elite, and I believe that I deserve a chance to be a part of the best. I know how to take constructive criticism and find alternative ways for improvement. I believe in hard work, dedication and commitment. If accepted, I intend to follow all NHS bylaws and contribute to its mission by committing to greater academic achievement and more.

No comments: